10/25/09

Who the heck invented stairs?

Stairs are my nemisis. You'd think it's an easy concept. You navigate them by going up one step at a time, or going down, one step at a time. Sounds simple enough... but oh no, I haven't mastered this concept. I think it's mostly because I'm careless or rushing or... maybe it goes back to when I was a kid and I'd run full speed in one direction while looking in the opposite direction. yep, that sounds right.


I fall down stairs. I fall up stairs.(yes, it can be done) I've forgotten that there are just two more stairs before the bottom - this can really hurt. There isn't a week that goes by that I don't yell out in pain after a loud thunk of some sort and Brandon comes running "Amy? Are you all right?" I only hear my real name when I'm in trouble or out of concern. 8 out of 10 times, it involves stairs. They hate me.


I can laugh at myself, and as I've mentioned, I also enjoy laughing at others. And I'm not the only one who's ate it on the stairs.


When I was an evil teenager (as all teens are) I lived with my Dad and his then girlfriend, Sue. Her and I were home alone, I was in my room - my teenage lair, when all of a sudden I heard and felt the vibration of a loud "thunk-a-bump-a-thunk-a-bump-a-thunk" and then nothing. silence.


So, I go to investigate. I called out "Sue?" and heard nothing. I went over and stood at the top of the stairs leading down to the basement, and there she was. Laying at the very bottom looking up at me, arms and legs spread out.


I couldn't contain myself. I started laughing so hard and I knew, just knew she would NOT be amused at my deep amusement... so I had to walk away. Yes, I'm awful for not having helped her up. But seriously, it rendered me... useless. Because I was caught in a fit of laughter and could not function. Maybe it's just me, but after hearing the thunks and looking down at her spread out at the bottom, it just struck me as damn funny. Sorry Sue! I'm glad you weren't truly hurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment